Our Heritage

Bill M. Abbott & Lewis G. Scharpf
Bill M. Abbott & Lewis G. Scharpf
L. Doolin Gorman and Lewis G. Scharpf became partners in 1946 with a commitment to provide service of distinction to local families with special attention to detail, while providing the best value in the local market. The groundbreaking and dedication of their facility at 525 South National took place on February 22, 1947. The funeral home remained there until we moved to our new facility at 1947 East Seminole in 1991. In 1968 Mr. Gorman retired and sold his share to Bill M. Abbott, who remained active in the business until his retirement in1978. Mr. Scharpf continued to serve the community until late in his life, retiring in 1994. W. Bruce Howell joined the firm as an apprentice in 1976, became partner upon Mr. Abbott’s retirement, and then sole owner in late 1978. Mr. Howell continues to serve as owner and president to this day. The next generation of Howell family are active in the operation of the funeral home and the affiliated Monument Shoppe.




L. Doolin Gorman
1897-1985

Lewis G. Scharpf
1912-2000

Bill M. Abbott
1925-2007

W. Bruce Howell



Our First Funeral Home
Our First Funeral Home